At the Hopton 10k, we are always on the lookout for enthusiastic volunteers to help make our event a success. We need around 40 volunteers to run the Hopton 10k safely, and we pride ourselves on having the most enthusiastic and friendly marshals and helpers. If you’re interested in supporting, please drop us an email to [email protected] or fill in the contact form below.
As a marshal, you will need to meet in the school hall at 8:30 am to collect everything you’ll need, such as signs, tape, cones, and a marshal’s info card. After that, you can make your way to your designated marshal spot to set up at your leisure. We need you in place and ready to go by 10 am. You can start packing away at 11:30 or when the sweeper (the volunteer following the person at the back of the race) passes you.
After the race, you’ll need to remove any signs and tape and head back to school to drop off your gear. You are welcome to hang around at the school for a chat, a cup of tea, and to help tidy up a bit. There will be a t-shirt, goody bag (or three) left over, which you can take home.
As a school helper, you will need to meet in the school hall at 8:30 am to help set up the various areas and stands. We need you to get the registration tables ready, hang signs to let runners know where the entrance is, the parking, the toilets, changing room, and cloakroom. Outside, we need to get the PA system working, hang the start/finish banner, and prepare the starting ‘funnel.’
Most of the preparation will be done ahead of time, but we need to be ready to roll pretty quickly, as runners can start turning up straight away once registration opens officially at 8:45 am.
During the race, we need a couple of people to work on timing by recording the order in which the runners cross the finish line. We also need to prepare the goody bags and t-shirts to give to runners as they return. We need someone with a bit of confidence and pizazz to be on the mic at the finish line, welcoming the runners home, calling out their names, playing music, and generally having a good time!
After the race, we need to tidy up and put the school back to how we found it, ready for the kids on Monday. We need you to move tables back into classrooms, remove signs, take down the start/finish banner, pack up the PA system, and drink any leftover tea and coffee. You’ll likely be able to take a t-shirt and a couple of goody bags home as we always have spares.
Here’s a run down of the marshalling points around the course.
The race starts from the school fields gate.
- 🚧 Marshal Point 1 - Chadwick Lane / Newgate / Calder Road
- 🚧 Marshal Point 2 - Flowerpot Junction
- 🚧 Marshal Point 3 - Granny Lane
- 🚧 Marshal Point 4 - Hagg Lane Junction
- 🚧 Marshal Point 5 - Hagg Lane / Boathouse Lane
- 🌳 Marshal Point 6 - Hagg Woods Crossroads (The hole!)
- 🌳 Marshal Point 7 - Golf Course Bottom
- 🌳 Marshal Point 8 - Golf Course Top
- 🌳 Marshal Point 9 - Golf Club / Sands Lane
- 🌳 Marshal Point 10 - Sands Lane End, Left to Lady Woods
- 🌳 Marshal Point 11 - Lady Woods Bottom
- 🌳 Marshal Point 12 - Lady Woods - Go Straight
- 🌳 Marshal Point 13 - Lady Woods Exit, via Stile
- 🌳 Marshal Point 14 - Ex-Paradise Farm
- 💦 Marshal Point 15 - Ouzelwell Lane - Water Point
- 🚧 Marshal Point 16 - Ouzelwell Farm
- 🌳 Marshal Point 17 - Ouzelwell Top
- 🌳 Marshal Point 18 - ‘The Bog’. Turn left
- 🌳 Marshal Point 19 - Don’t go down there!
- 🌳 Marshal Point 20 - Yes, DO go down there!
The course them loops back passing marshal points; 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 before returning to the school field.
Marshalling Video overview
We have a video running through all aspects of volunteering at the Hopton 10k, enjoy!
It’s pretty long and boring, but don’t worry, you can jump to a specific marshal points:
- 00:00 - Introduction
- 01:03 - Flyover
- 06:00 - Start / Finish
- 06:19 - Marshal point 1 Chadwick Lane
- 07:14 - Marshal point 2 Flowerpot junction
- 08:22 - Marshal point 3 Granny Lane
- 08:45 - Marshal point 4 Hagg Lane junction
- 09:33 - Marshal point 5 Hagg Lane / Boathouse Lane
- 10:24 - Marshal point 6 Hagg Woods Crossroads (The hole!)
- 12:22 - Marshal point 7 Golf course entry
- 13:31 - Marshal point 8 Golf course top
- 14:07 - Marshal point 9 Golf club / Sands lane
- 14:50 - Marshal point 10 Sands Lane
- 15:41 - Marshal point 11 Lady Woods 1
- 18:09 - Marshal point 12 Lady Woods 2
- 22:32 - Marshal point 13 Lady Woods 3
- 23:25 - Marshal point 14 Paradise Farm / Field
- 24:32 - Marshal point 15 Water on Ouzelwell Lane
- 27:52 - Marshal point 16 Ouzelwell Farm
- 29:06 - Marshal point 17 Ouzelwell Top
- 29:31 - Marshal point 18 The Bog
- 31:28 - Marshal point 19 Scopsley Lane - Don’t go down there!
- 32:30 - Marshal point 20 Do go down here!
So, if you’re still reading and you’d like to get involved, drop me a message using the form below. :-)