At the Hopton 10k we’re always looking for fabulous volunteers, the event couldn’t take place without them and we pride ourselves on having the most enthusiastic marshals! It’s a fun morning! If you’re interested in helping out, please drop me an email or fill in the contact form below.
We need around 40 volunteers to put the Hopton 10k on! We have 20 marshalling points around the course plus we need people at the school to help out with registration, timing, tea and coffee, answering questions, and the cloakroom. If you’re helping out you’ll be needed from 8:30 am to 12:00 pm.
Meet in the school hall at 8:30 to help set up the various areas and stands. We get the registration tables ready, hang signs to let runners know where the entrance is, the parking, the toilets, changing room and cloakroom are. Outside we need to get the PA system working, hang the start/finish banner and prepare the starting ‘funnel’.
I will most likely have been in school the day before preparing goody bags and t-shirts and at the school from about 7:30 on the day, so most of this prep will hopefully be already done. We need to be ready to roll pretty quickly as runners can start turning up straight away, from about 8:30. Registration opens officially at 8:45.
During the race we need a couple of people to work on timing - recording the order in which the runners cross the line. We also need to prepare the goody bags and t-shirts to give people as they return. We also need someone with a bit of confidence and pizazz to be on the mic at the finish line welcoming the runners home, calling out their name and generally having a good time.
After the race we need to tidy up and put the school back to normal ready for the kids on Monday. Move tables back, remove signs, take down the start/finish banner, pack up the PA, drink any left over tea and coffee.
Meet in the school hall at 8:30 to collect everything you’ll need (signs, tape, cones, marshal’s info card) and ask any questions. You then make your way to your marshal spot to set up at your leisure. If you’re a marshal we need you in place and ready for 10 am. You can start packing away at 11:30 or when the sweeper (the volunteer following the person at the back of the race) passes you.
After the race you’ll need to remove any signs and tape then head back to school to drop off your gear. If you like you, can hang around at school for a chat, a cup of tea and help us tidy up a bit - it won’t take long.
There will no doubt be a t-shirt, goody bag (or three) left over which you can take home.
Here’s a run down of the marshalling points around the course.
The race starts from the school field’s gate.
- Marshal Point 1 - Chadwick Lane / Newgate / Calder Road
- Marshal Point 2 - Flowerpot Junction
- Marshal Point 3 - Granny Lane
- Marshal Point 4 - Hagg Lane Junction
- Marshal Point 5 - Hagg Lane / Boathouse Lane
- Marshal Point 6 - Hagg Woods Crossroads (The hole!)
- Marshal Point 7 - Golf Course Bottom
- Marshal Point 8 - Golf Course Top
- Marshal Point 9 - Golf Club / Sands Lane
- Marshal Point 10 - Sands Lane End, Left to Lady Woods
- Marshal Point 11 - Lady Woods Bottom
- Marshal Point 12 - Lady Woods - Go Straight
- Marshal Point 13 - Lady Woods Exit, via Stile
- Marshal Point 14 - Ex-Paradise Farm
- Marshal Point 15 - Ouzelwell Lane - Water Point
- Marshal Point 16 - Ouzelwell Farm
- Marshal Point 17 - Ouzelwell Top
- Marshal Point 18 - ‘The Bog’. Turn left
- Marshal Point 19 - Don’t go down there!
- Marshal Point 20 - Yes, DO go down there!
The course them loops back passing marshal points; 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 before returning to the school field.
Marshalling Video overview
We have a video running through all aspects of volunteering at the Hopton 10k, enjoy!
It’s pretty long and bording, but don’t worry, you can jump to a specific marshal points:
- 00:00 - Introduction
- 01:03 - Flyover
- 06:00 - Start / Finish
- 06:19 - Marshal point 1 Chadwick Lane
- 07:14 - Marshal point 2 Flowerpot junction
- 08:22 - Marshal point 3 Granny Lane
- 08:45 - Marshal point 4 Hagg Lane junction
- 09:33 - Marshal point 5 Hagg Lane / Boathouse Lane
- 10:24 - Marshal point 6 Hagg Woods Crossroads (The hole!)
- 12:22 - Marshal point 7 Golf course entry
- 13:31 - Marshal point 8 Golf course top
- 14:07 - Marshal point 9 Golf club / Sands lane
- 14:50 - Marshal point 10 Sands Lane
- 15:41 - Marshal point 11 Lady Woods 1
- 18:09 - Marshal point 12 Lady Woods 2
- 22:32 - Marshal point 13 Lady Woods 3
- 23:25 - Marshal point 14 Paradise Farm / Field
- 24:32 - Marshal point 15 Water on Ouzelwell Lane
- 27:52 - Marshal point 16 Ouzelwell Farm
- 29:06 - Marshal point 17 Ouzelwell Top
- 29:31 - Marshal point 18 The Bog
- 31:28 - Marshal point 19 Scopsley Lane - Don’t go down there!
- 32:30 - Marshal point 20 Do go down here!
So, if you’re still reading and you’d like to get involved, drop me a message using the form below. :-)